Friday, February 29, 2008

Facts from CDC on Ricin

I like to bookmark the CDC website for information especially when I am preparing posts for my parenting blog. CDC has a lot of things which we can print and distribute. This was especially useful during the bird flu and also the HFM disease outbreak.

Just only, I heard on the news about deaths from ricin. Well, something I read from CDC puzzles me. According to CDC site, it is hardly possible to be poisoned by ricin unless it is a delibrate act. So, do you think the deaths at the Las Vegas motel is an intentional one? Seven people were affected.

In case you did not read from CDC here are facts on ricin :
What ricin is

* Ricin is a poison that can be made from the waste left over from processing castor beans.
* It can be in the form of a powder, a mist, or a pellet, or it can be dissolved in water or weak acid.
* It is a stable substance. For example, it is not affected much by extreme conditions such as very hot or very cold temperatures

No comments: